By: Wendy Smith, Co-Founder, The League Pro of Kentucky
We are excited to present a new STEAM format as an addition to TALK’s lineup of activities this year! STEAM stands for Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Math!
One of the TechFest Louisville 2019 events this year will be youth tech-specific debates on the subject of privacy run by The League Pro of Kentucky.
All business and tech professionals are welcome to come and listen to these debates which will be held after-school hours at the Lincoln Elementary School building with participation from middle and high schoolers.
We are currently recruiting for these activities, as there will be practices in the summer months for these debate students, leading up to the finalist debates at TechFest Louisville 2019! Here’s some information to get you up to speed, and allow for your teens to sign up:
Event Title: Technological Privacy? That’s Debatable!
Event: Debate Tournament Training Sessions culminating with the Semi-Final and Final Tournament rounds during TechFest on August 22-23, 2019. From 4-7 PM
Purpose: To empower youth to become skilled and engaged speakers on important global issues through competitive speech and debate activities.
Format: Students will register for a Qualifying Tournament in their choice of either June or July with dates and times to be announced. Students may also register for training sessions in 3 hour blocks.
Who: All Greater Louisville Public, Private and Catholic Middle and High School Students are invited to participate in the TechFest Debate Tournament.
Registration: Space is limited, so all interested students should not delay in registering for this debate tournament. Register by emailing email@example.com. Please include the following information: Full Name, Grade, School, Experience Level, Allergies, and telephone contact information. For further information you may also call 502-457-4355. Once you contact The League Pro, you will receive a permission slip to be signed and returned.
Activities: There are several options when it comes to participation. All options will include lunch and snacks for all tournaments. You may choose option 1, 2 or 3 below. However, if students would like further debate training, they may speak with a member of The League Pro staff to make additional arrangements for private options.
1) Registration includes (1) 3-hour training session with The League Pro and members of the U of L Debate Team members to learn or expand upon debate skills and knowledge. Students will have the opportunity to work one-on-one with members of the training staff to develop and hone skills in the area of writing, speaking, critical thinking, article analysis and more. Lunch will be served. If you qualify for the Semi or Final rounds, no additional payment is required.
2) Registration includes (2) 3-hour training sessions with The League Pro and members of the U of L Debate Team members to learn or expand upon debate skills and knowledge. Students will have the opportunity to work one-on-one with members of the training staff to develop and hone skills in the area of writing, speaking, critical thinking, article analysis and more. A total of 6 hours. Lunch will be served. If you qualify for the Semi or Final rounds, no additional payment is required.
3) Registration includes registration for one of the qualifying tournaments. If you qualify for the Semi or Final rounds, no additional payment is required.
Location: All training sessions will take place at The League Pro, 9446 Norton Commons Blvd., Louisville, KY 40241. However, the Semi Final and Final Rounds will take place at Lincoln Elementary School, 930 E. Main St., Louisville, Kentucky 40206.
On the day of the Semi and Final rounds, classrooms will be allocated and marked. Sign in will begin at 4 pm in the Library or Cafeteria as designated and the debate round will begin promptly at 4:30 PM
Prizes: Each Participant in a Qualifying Round will have at least one of the following prizes:
• Top 10 Speaker Awards for Novice, JV and Varsity
• Top 4 Team Awards
• Participation Certificate
Final Round: CASH PRIZES
Deadline: June 10, 2019
Cost: The cost to participate is as follows:
1. One 3-hour session and registration for a Qualifying Tournament is $185.00
2. Two 3-hour sessions and registration for a Qualifying Tournament is $225.00
3. Registration for a Qualifying Tournament is $125.00